Where Are We Right Now?

Where Are We Right Now

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Rider Numero Dos: Steve Peacock

Introducing the man who put this adventure together:




"The seeds were planted as a little boy.  My grandpa would time me, and Boots (my Shetland Pony) and I would see how long it would take to tear around a full city block and return to the front yard.  With visions of Roy Rogers and the Lone Ranger passing in front of my eyes Boots and I would be 'off'!  With vicious savages in pursuit we would cut the corners, kick up some dust, sit low in the saddle, and enjoy the wind!  The ability to run with the wind without having to use my own leg power (either to run or 'pump') projected me into a whole new sphere.

"As a mid-teen I had a German made 50cc motorbike.  I rode it to the fields in the summer to haul baled hay for local farmers.  I rode it to the lakes to fish and camp.  I rode it into the mountains, and by using a larger rear sprocket it was possible to climb slopes that were absolutely terrifying when it was time to come back down.  I visited herds of elk in areas that would have taken hours of hiking.  I  hunted rock chucks, pheasants and mourning dove.  On summer evenings I would take young ladies for a ride that were seeking a thrill.  Well, they weren't the only ones seeking a thrill.

"In the early '80's a Suzuki 850 cc 'ride' landed in the garage.  It had four cylinders with a shaft drive - smooth and responsive. It was unbelievably fast and smooth  with power to spare.  Rode it to California a couple of times, and all over Utah.  Fun and exciting was an understatement!  However a young family and growing practice took priority, and the iron pony sat.

"By 2006 the family was grown and gone.  Golf had consumed endless hours and provided a great excuse to travel the western states looking for beautiful spots and unusual golf courses.  Still there was an unmet 'itch' in my life.  I had friends that had motorcycles, and patients that had motorcycles.  The stories of travels, with wind and weather, small towns and twisty roads became too much!  Some time on EBay disclosed the possibility of buying used and revealed a great selection to choose from.  The mouse clicked, the purchase was made, and the new 'pony' was on it's way.  Now to tell Regina!!

"Arriving home after work  Regina asked "How was your day?"  I grumped and groused.  I sighed and let my shoulders droop.  She inquired ..  "What is wrong?"  With a heavy  exhale I said "I don't know what it is.  I think I'm having a mid-life crisis.  I think it's either another woman or a motorcycle!"  Actually the bike was scheduled to be delivered the following day, and I hadn't said anything.  I could wait no longer.  THIS WAS IT!  The time to try to explain had come.  Regina smiled, put her finger in my face and said "Trust me 'Bucky', the motorcycle is cheaper"!

"I took that as  a supportive statement in behalf of being economical, the granting of 'carte blanche' status to the project - AND WE WERE OFF!  We had fun adding custom paint and accessories.  We shopped for clothes and gear.  And then the riding started.  Well "WE" have ridden all over the western United States.  We even spent four weeks celebrating our 40th Anniversary in Canada, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho, riding the highways and biways and enjoying the whole experience.  We had planned and were ticketed for a two week Mediterranean Cruise and a week in Rome, but decided we would rather 'ride'.

"For the last five or six years the bike wheels have rolled over 12,000 to 15,000 miles annually.  We have been to Mt. Rushmore, the top of Pike's Peak, the deserts of the southwest and the coast of Oregon.  We have traveled through snow, sleet, pouring rain and scorching sun.  There have been refreshing spring and fall days with colors hard to imagine.  The humidity and heat have occasionally made travel oppressive.  The endless views from peaks and passes, the feeling of ocean mist, and the chill of early morning dew has given us an appreciative connection with this good earth we live on.

"In the last several years I have been involved in long distance travel  Read an article in a motorcycle magazine describing an 'Iron Butt 1,000' - the flame was lit.  One year later the Iron Butt Association certified my first ride - a 'Saddle Sore 1,000'.  That's 1,000 miles in a 24 hour period.  The following year it was a 'Bun Burner 1,500" (1,500 miles in a 36 hour period) and a 'Border to Border' (Mexico to Canada in 36 hours).  But the 'crown jewel' - the '48/10' seemed huge!  Almost insurmountable!  Ride in all 48 states in a ten day period - what a challenge!

"After three years of planning.  Routing.  Adjusting.  Re-routing.  More planning.  THE TIME HAS COME!  At this point less than 100 individuals have completed this most challenging endurance ride.  Four of us will make the attempt beginning in mid-May.  This will prove to be a most difficult undertaking.  There has been untold attention to small details and arrangements.  Hotel reservations have been made.  We have tried to anticipate all contingencies.  The reality of this daunting task weighs heavily.  BUT - a new brotherhood has been born, and with anxiety and excitement we approach this together.

"Andy, Jared and Marc - couldn't find three 'buds' I would rather attempt this with.  We look to support one another, encourage one another, and when needed lift one another to this unusual accomplishment.  GOOD LUCK!  May this small 'band of brothers' be safe and successful.  I relish the challenge but find myself filled with questions.


"BE SAFE MY BROTHERS!  BE STRONG OUR PONIES!  BE KIND MOTHER NATURE!  GOOD FORTUNE - SMILE UPON US!"

No comments:

Post a Comment