Where Are We Right Now?

Where Are We Right Now

Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Rider Numero Cuatro: Marc Menlove

Introducing our next rider, Marc Menlove:

From a young age I have always liked things that go fast.  My older brother as a teenager loved to build things including go carts, motorcycles and ATV's. My other 3 brothers and I were his test pilots. He affectionately gave us nicknames for my brother Matt "Matias", for myself Sparky, and for Mitch "Mitch the Stitch" and for Chad it was just "big bad Chad".  He was constantly taking things apart around the house to use on his next project.  I remember watching one of my fellow  test pilot  brothers on the lawn mower go cart trying to mow the lawn when the throttle stuck.  Of course there was no kill switch so just before running into a brick retaining wall in the backyard he reached back and pulled the spark plug wire off the spark plug as he slammed into the wall.  I remember the day my older brother brought home two very old, broken, not running motorcycles.  I asked him what are you going to do with those?  He said build one that works.  He worked for months in the shed and then finally emerged one day with a beautiful big blue motorcycle that we affectionally called "Big Blue".  

When about 14 years old two of my brothers and I convinced a teenage friend to sell us his Honda 120 endure. This began the love affair with two wheels.  It became a great way to get around until someone told us you have to be 16 and have a license to ride motorcycles.  I have a 94' soft tail that belonged to my brother Mitch.  After he very unexpectedly passed away in his sleep about 4 years ago I bought the bike from his wife.  I now ride his motorcycle as a way to remember him.  Every July near the day he passed I go for a ride on his motorcycle and remember him. It is just a motorcycle and has no eternal significance but it helps me to think of the things that do have significance as I remember my good brothers life, his example, where he may be and what he might be doing. 

I have always enjoyed anything that goes fast and connects you to the outdoors.  I also enjoy a good challenge and the excitement of gearing up for a challenge.  This is what intrigued me when a friend Andy came to pay a special visit at my home.  Several months ago Andy comes to my house and says " Marc I need to talk to you privately in the living room"  immediately  I new that this might be something big.  As I sat and listened to him roll out and pitch the  48/10 and tell me that he just bought a Goldwing.  I thought to myself "he's gone nuts, poor Nikki, and A GOLDWING! why would you ever want a Goldwing, actually that sounds kind of fun, when do we go".   I still at that point walked Andy to the door not thinking that I would ever attempt a ride like the one he was explaining.  However in  the days and weeks to come I found myself dreaming of the bike and route and the adventure.   After my wife agreed to the trip I had no choice but to buy the bike and make the trip.  

I'm excited to see the sights, meet the people along the way and learn something new.  I'm grateful to be along for the ride with Steve, Andy, and Jared and trust there preparation and judgement. (especially Steve's)  I look forward to getting to know them well, hear them snore, whine, and laugh.   There are many life lessons to be learned on the road I hope to learn many of them on this adventure. If in doubt ride it out. 


Ride on my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment